Tuesday 4 October 2011

FOTD and Review- Sleek Oh So Special Palette

Shades L to R from top: Bow, Organza, Ribbon, Gift Basket, Glitz, Celebrate, Pamper, Gateau, The Mail, Boxed, Wrapped Up, Noir

I’ve bought a few of the new Sleek palettes in the past week. I managed to get hold of one of the last Oh So Special palettes from the website. There are loads of swatches out there, so I’m not going to pollute Google images with my inferior swatch photography. I’m just going to tell you what I think. 
Max Factor Foundation- made to make you look corpselike
For only £6.49, Sleek offer amazing quality for the price. As with all of Sleek’s palettes, the shadows are pigmented, easy to blend and have sturdy packaging. This is a great neutral palette, suitable for both cool and warm toned skin. There are no glitter bombs thankfully! Sleek usually supply a few duff shades that I wouldn’t use but even the matte pinks, Pamper and Ribbon, are useable. I wouldn’t put them around my eyes because nobody looks good with conjunctivitis. They are perfect to use on the cheeks or lips, if mixed with a clear gloss like I did today. There isn’t a single shade that I don’t like. 
Lips- Ribbon mixed with Freeze24/7 Clear Plumping Gloss 
There is a great balance between shimmer and matte, although I must admit I would have liked another matte midtone. The only shadow that is a let-down to me is Wrapped Up, which could have better pigmentation and is a bit chalky. My favourites are Gateau, a golden pink/peach that reminds me a lot of Urban Decay’s X eyeshadow and Glitz, a mid-toned shimmering grey which is very similar to MAC’s Knight Divine. None of the colours are unique and could easily be duped. The Mail is very similar to Bamboo by MAC and Gift Basket is close to Urban Decay’s Shag. However, I can see me using every single colour, all year around. Perhaps not all at once though- I might need bigger eyelids for that.
Miserable woman needs to smile!

Products Used

Max Factor Ageless Elixir Foundation in Light Ivory (hateful- review forthcoming)
Collection 2000 Concealer in Fair
L’Oreal Touche Magique
Witch Pressed Powder
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
L’Oreal Lash Architect 4D Mascara
Elf Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Plum

Oh So Special palette: 
Ribbon (1) as blush and mixed with clear gloss on lips
Gateau (2) inner lid and tearduct
Gift Basket (3) mid to outer lid. Mixed with(7) Celebrate on lower lashline
The Mail (4) crease to browbone
Bow (5) on browbone
Celebrate (6) to outer V, brought half way across crease (sadly the shimmer seems to have blended out by this heavy handed Smurfette)
Boxed (7) lightly applied to inner crease and blended into Celebrate 

Hope you like the look. I think this is a superb palette. It’s currently out of stock on the Sleek website but Sleek say it will be back online by the end of October. However, Superdrug often store leftover stock underneath the stands, so ask a friendly assistant. I urge you to get this. I only wish I’d bought a backup…

Did you buy the Oh So Special palette? Feel free to leave links to your Sleek FOTD posts as I’d love to get some inspiration from you. 


*Disclaimer- All products were purchased by me except for the Max Factor foundation which was provided for trial and marketing purchases. This has no bearing on my opinions or use the product

No comments: